Senior Backend Engineer
WHO ARE WE?
NeuLion is the worldwide leader in creating interactive digital experiences for viewers across the worlds of professional sports, college athletics, cable and entertainment networks. We deliver, distribute and monetize live and on-demand content across every Internet-connected device imaginable and stand at the forefront of the media-technology revolution. There’s a reason the world’s biggest brands including ESPN, Univision, SKY, NFL, UFC, MLS, World Surf League, Big Ten Network, the Ivy League and more, trust and rely on us: we are proven to provide the world’s most dynamic and interactive digital experiences that are shaping the future of digital TV.
Working at NeuLion is fast-paced, fun and challenging, and we thrive on innovation. We work harder than anyone else because are passionate and believe in what we are doing! We are on a mission to continue to change the future of TV and this is your chance to be a part of a game-changing, rapidly growing company!
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
Great engineering, driven by ideas, inspiration, and creative problem solving have put NeuLion at the forefront of delivering great experiences for our clients. Our culture is created by our creative, and innovative people. We encourage an entrepreneurial approach where your opinion is valued and you will be expected to contribute your own ideas and ways of solving problems.
To continue our upward trajectory we seek a Senior Engineer to join us in building a platform that scales whilst also being flexible enough to change. The role will cover high-performance distributed systems, deriving value from our data, and modern software architectures - we are a company that continually looks for better ways to do business, so this list isn’t exhaustive. Based in the Platform Engineering department, you will work with other talented engineers, sharing ideas, coaching, and personal development. Platform Engineering provide the foundation of our solution and are a critical part of our offering.
THE EVERYDAY VIEW
Our work is driven by our ideas and our clients. In Platform Engineering this includes:
- Working with our product owners to design solutions to a client requirement
- Software architecture, testing and prototyping and idea in the early stages
- Working with test engineers to ‘test in parallel’ and ensure that what we deliver is rock solid, including performs at load
- Directing, developing and coaching junior engineers to become the high quality senior engineers of tomorrow
- The craft of writing high quality, testable and tested code in a distributed cloud based environment
- Working with diverse data stores, optimising, and developing our approach
- Ensuring that our solutions work ‘in the field’, with monitoring, remediation, and a solid devops approach (we use extensive testing, automation, and modern tools)
- Research on developments in the wider field of software engineering
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- At least 1 year of managing/supervising the work of others.
- Strong relational database experience, optimising SQL queries, with experience of one of Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, or Postgres.
- Experience of distributed systems, network communication utilising messaging patterns (RPC, pub/sub), you will have used one of Thrift, ZeroMQ, KAFKA, GRPC, or similar.
- Working knowledge of commonly used algorithms, efficiency measures, and data structures gained through formal education and/or ‘on the job’.
- Proven experience in building scalable distributed modular services which can be deployed using containerisation/ docker services.
- Demonstrable expertise in deploying and running software on leading cloud platforms such as AWS or another mainstream provider and utilising the capabilities these platform provides.
- Ideally experience of working in a SAAS based environment.
- We are not looking for a ‘headphones’ on head down programmer, you should be prepared to bring something of yourself to work - this must include the ability and understanding of how to work effectively in a team, and the willingness to share knowledge and coach others.
Please submit your application to Careers@NeuLion.com.